Yahoo! What have you done?

2009-08-22

Techcrunch first reported on the biggest Yahoo fail ever on August 21st. Later that day, they announced that Flickr shut down the forum discussing the photo removed. As an added insult to our intelligence, Flickr replies


What ever happened to freedom of speech?

I've always been loyal to Yahoo. My email and IM are all on Yahoo. I use the Yahoo Messenger desktop client and their beta product Zimbra desktop as an Outlook alternative. I stream my music from Yahoo, get my news from Yahoo and have My Yahoo as my homepage. But I also love freedom of expression more - Yahoo is falling into trap with what they did on Flickr. Techcrunch reported another Yahoo fail the day before - advertising both IE and FF on the same page. What's happening?



Photos critical of Bush were never deleted - why that of Obama? If copyright laws were infringed in that picture, why aren't other pictures taken down? Fact is, majority of people hate Bush and love Obama - does this mean that keeping that photo up will generate controversy and put Flickr down?

And, suppose the photo was really infringing copyright laws - what gives you the right to take down the forum, too? Surely that doesn't infringe copyright. The thread, ridiculous or not IN YOUR VIEWS, is still a from of freedom of expression. There was no spam there. Just because you think the thread is ridiculous is not enough reason to deprive them of the ability to discuss it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment









widget by BloggerStop